What do I eat to lose weight? Is there a question we get more often here at Coach Calorie? Probably not.
For your convenience, we have created a 4 week weight loss meal plan full of healthy, whole foods that will help you feel energized, lose fat, and be the healthiest you can be.
How to Use This Plan
The meal plan gives suggestions for 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. Eat all three main meals, and add the snacks as needed for hunger. For simplicity’s sake, I have suggested one night of leftovers, one night of eating out (or more leftovers), and that Sunday night you prepare enough of your dinner to also eat for lunch the entire week (at least M-F).
I’ve also simplified shopping and prepping by repeating breakfast and lunch every day for each week. You do not have to follow the plan exactly: simply mix and match the below suggestions as needed.
If your goal is fat loss, make sure you are moving for at least 30 minutes per day in addition to following the meals. If after several weeks of this plan nothing is changing, consider eliminating 1 snack per day. You can also choose to eat your whole grains only within 2 hours of exercise or before 3pm.
A note about whole grains – these can be tricky to pick out, because everything from cereal to breads to muffins to chips are deceptively labeled as whole grain, whole wheat, etc. Look for very few ingredients on the label, all recognizable as something you might have in your own kitchen. Real whole grain products will be dense and textured.
Here is more to help in the planning and execution of this meal plan:
- The weekly ritual – how to shop for and prepare your food
- A healthy grocery list
- Correct portion sizes without counting calories
Anything below can be substituted in place of the meals in the plan. (I’ve labeled the faster/easier options for those with busy schedules)
For breakfast, choose a form of protein via eggs, meat, legumes, dairy, or whole grain like oats. Add a veggie and/or fruit for a complete meal. Suggestions :
- oatmeal with berries, natural peanut butter, and cinnamon, made with skim milk – FAST
- 2 egg omelet with ground turkey breast, with sauteed bell peppers or broccoli, and spinach
- whole grain english muffin with tomato, smoked salmon and 1 egg, side of celery and/or apple slices
- whole grain toast with almond butter, nonfat plain greek yogurt mixed with berries – FAST
- breakfast smoothie with spinach, plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1 cup of frozen fruit, flaxseed – FAST (Best choice for pre-workout)
- breakfast taco with scrambled eggs, black beans, turkey sausage, spinach and tomatoes in a corn or whole wheat tortilla (make a big batch, freeze, and reheat–FAST)
- nonfat plain greek yogurt with mixed berries, almonds, and pure vanilla extract – FAST
- 1 egg scrambled with kale, sweet potato hash browns (grate hash browns, mix with egg white, salt, and pepper, form a patty and cook in cast iron skillet)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced bell peppers, 1/2 grapefruit (make a big batch of hard boiled eggs, peel and divide into sandwich bags and sprinkle salt/pepper for grab and eat-FAST)
- frittatas made in muffin pan (pour egg, chopped spinach or kale, tomatoes, and goat cheese into non-stick muffin pan, bake 25-30 min)
Morning, Afternoon, and Bedtime Snack (optional)
This is optional. Have all three or none, but listen to your hunger cues and eat if you’re hungry.
- handful of almonds
- apple slices and cubed cheese
- orange slices
- pumpkin seeds
- steamed edamame sprinkled with sea salt
- celery with 2T natural peanut butter
- bell peppers, celery, or carrots with 2T hummus
- frozen grapes or blueberries
- fruit salad (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries for example)
- a couple of squares of dark chocolate and strawberries
- fruit dipped in fruit dip (nonfat plain greek yogurt, 1tsp raw honey, 1T peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon)
- roasted or raw cauliflower dipped in greek yogurt “ranch” (nonfat plain greek yogurt, salt, pepper, parsley, celery seed, garlic and onion powder to taste)
- handful of pistachios
- brown rice cake with mashed avocado
- grilled zucchini chips
- banana and 2T nut butter
- more healthy snack ideas here
Choose at least 1 large serving of vegetables and a form of protein, add in healthy fats, whole grains and/or fruit for a complete meal
- salad with grilled chicken, leafy greens like spinach or field greens, bell peppers, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar
- black beans, quinoa, onions, red and green bell peppers, hummus wrapped in a collard green leaf
- tuna or salmon salad made with lime juice and mashed avocado instead of mayo, side of steamed veggies
- grilled chicken breast with roasted vegetables (make a huge batch, section into daily lunches and refrigerate, grab and go)
- whole wheat pita pocket with grilled turkey, baby spinach, avocado, and tomatoes
- chicken, spinach, mango and goat cheese quesadilla on whole wheat tortilla
- spinach salad with strawberries, pecans, feta, and grilled chicken with a drizzle of homemade honey mustard (olive oil, dijon mustard, and a bit of raw honey)
- leftover spaghetti squash with lean grass-fed meatballs, tomatoes and broccoli
- salad with arugula, cucumbers, pomegranate seeds, raisins, pine nuts, and seared tuna
- quinoa with shredded chicken, red onions, bell peppers, cucumber and apple cider vinegar
- turkey burger in a lettuce wrap with goat cheese, baked sweet potato
- TIP– If you eat out at lunch regularly for work, go for the greenest salad, watch the cheese portion, balsamic vinaigrette or oil and vinegar on the side; or grilled meat and steamed veggies
At dinner, aim for centering your meal around a serving of healthy protein and a heaping serving of veggies. Feel free to have any of the breakfast or lunch ideas for dinner, too. For extra efficiency, make large portions and use for lunches or freeze for upcoming dinners. Here are a few dinner suggestions:
- spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, grass-fed meatballs with chopped up veggies mixed in (kale, spinach, broccoli work great)
- turkey chili
- chicken tacos in corn tortillas or lettuce wraps with shredded chicken, pico de gallo, avocado and a side salad
- spinach, chicken, avocado, and goat cheese salad with red onion, bell peppers, walnuts, and cherry tomatoes
- grilled chicken tenderloin, baked sweet potato fries, roasted cauliflower, homemade honey mustard dip (greek yogurt, drop of raw honey, dijon mustard)
- baked butternut squash stuffed with quinoa and black beans
- crock pot shredded bbq chicken on a whole wheat bun, with roasted brussels sprouts
- baked salmon and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, with mashed cauliflower and spinach salad
- baked acorn squash stuffed with onion, grass-fed lean ground beef, riced cauliflower, diced tomatoes
- roasted garlic shrimp and veggies
- beef and broccoli made with flank steak, spaghetti squash, broccoli and peanuts
- grilled pork tenderloin with mixed greens salad and roasted cauliflower, garlic, onion and tomatoes
- stuffed zucchini (stuff with lean meat and veggies, sprinkle with cheese)
- eggplant lasagna with spinach, lean grass-fed beef, tomato sauce, skim cottage cheese, sliced eggplant
- crock pot chicken fajitas (add chicken breast, peppers, onion, broth, lime chile powder to crock pot, serve on corn tortillas)
- seared scallops on a bed of spinach
- chicken stuffed poblano peppers with pico de gallo and avocado
- tons more approved healthy recipes here
So there you have it. Choose from the above options, move for at least 30 minutes every day, and be prepared to feel amazing. Stick to these foods 80-90% of the time and you will be healthy and lose the extra fat.
Download Coach Calorie 4 Week Meal Plan [pdf]
Let us know what you think!
There's a better way to lose weight…
So many people go about trying to lose weight in the wrong way.
For starters, their goal is to lose weight, which stacks the odds against you before you ever take action.
I didn't even focus on weight loss with my 12-week transformation above.
Do you want to know the process I followed?
I'll show you how to…
- eat fun foods every single day and still get lean
- choose the most effective exercise for your transformation
- not care what other people think of your body - starting from day 1
- find what drives you to stay motivated for life
- avoid the 5 most common mistakes nearly everyone makes on their journey
I'll be coaching all this and more in a free 5-day email course. All you need to do is click the button below to get it…