As we’ve said before, self-love and self-care go hand in hand with weight loss and fitness. As Lucille Ball once said, “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You have to love yourself to get anything done.”
How can anyone else love you without you first loving yourself? How can you expect anyone else to treat you with respect if you don’t respect yourself? So many of us are looking outward for the love we want, when, just like Dorothy realizes that her ruby slippers had the power the entire time, we are the ones who had it all along.
Learning to Love Yourself is Invaluable for Anyone
After my divorce, I spent several Valentine’s Days as a single mom. Instead of sitting home and feeling sorry for myself, wishing for someone to sweep me off my feet, I chose to use those days as a way to learn to love and care for myself. I got dressed up, hooked up with other single girlfriends, and we ate the best food and drank the best wine and danced the night away. Those are some of my favorite memories.
You don’t have to be single to learn how to love yourself. In fact, many people in relationships struggle with this very idea. Some people feel uncomfortable when they are alone, some feel frustrated that their needs aren’t met by their partner, or just generally aren’t comfortable with who they are.
If you’re struggling with feeling alone, low self-confidence, or just want to work on being kinder to yourself, here are some ideas to treat yourself like someone you love:
- send yourself flowers
- make a list of your best traits. Keep this list somewhere accessible so that when you feel down, you can read it. Here are 5 more powerful rules for health and happiness.
- be grateful-write down everything you have to be grateful for. If you’re in a bad place, be grateful that you can walk, that you’re alive, that you can see, etc. There is always something to be grateful for.
- splurge on a massage
- take some time to be alone and just relax
- tune out gossip and drama–this includes news, gossip magazines, “junk” tv, social media, and negative personalities around you that just make you feel bad about yourself, other humans, or the world
- perform a random act of kindness
- learn to recognize the “bully” in your head, and turn those negative thoughts into positive ones
- go to your favorite restaurant for dinner either with a good friend or with a good book
- do a really fun workout, like skateboarding or rollerskating. Read here how to make exercise your grownup playtime!
- take a hot bath
- light candles around the house
- buy yourself some cheese and wine to sample
- cook yourself an amazing meal
- rent the funniest movie you know of and laugh until your sides hurt
- smash your scale with a hammer. Do it. Here’s why.
- put nice words about yourself on your mirror. Try “good morning, gorgeous!” to start.
- smile at strangers
- read a good book
- meditate. Here are more ways to become mentally fit.
- eat something that you know is really good for you, like a spinach salad or a piece of fruit
- go to an art museum and get lost in the galleries
- do what you love – carve out time each day to do that thing you love to do, whatever it is.
- relish the moment – tune all thoughts out, really listen to the birds and see the sunshine
- forgive – yourself or others, release any guilt or anger and move forward
- take a red pen to your to-do list – eliminate any commitments that are unnecessary to make room for the things that mean the most to you
- go on a shopping diet – buy only what you absolutely need, don’t spend one more penny on clutter, and learn to funnel your money into more of what makes you TRULY happy
- try that class you’ve been wanting to try
- reach out and ask for help if you need it
- get organized and do what you keep procrastinating, you’ll feel so much better
- rock out to your favorite music. Here is a list of 100 songs to try.
- dance while you’re at it
- plan your dream date, and then take yourself on it
- go on a weekend getaway by yourself
- create a vision board with pictures and quotes that inspire you and give you a visual of your dreams. Read here for 5 more mental secrets for staying on the healthy track.
- set a timer at your desk and do yoga every 30 minutes-1 hour for just 5 minutes at a time. Here are 21 more ways to stay healthy at work.
- learn to see the beauty in everything so that you can recognize it in yourself
- make a list of your accomplishments and celebrate them, no matter how “small”
- take the afternoon off and take a nap
- take care of your health – visit the doctor, listen to your body, feed yourself nutritious food, exercise regularly, manage stress
- do something daring, like a haircut you’ve always wanted to try
- climb in bed early – here are some tips for sleeping like a baby.
- tell the people you love how much they mean to you
- do not, no matter how tempting, compare yourself to anyone else. You are the only person in the world with your unique traits, abilities, gifts and talents. Celebrate it!
- just one night, have dessert for dinner. Indulgences every now and then won’t hurt. Learn how to live with balance here.
- go see a movie alone, whatever YOU want
- reach out to friends and make plans
- surround yourself with inspiring people – you are the average of the 5 people you are in contact with most, so make sure you surround yourself with the right ones. Why does your healthy lifestyle offend some people? Read here.
- wake up early and watch the sunrise from your roof
- really savor a cup of coffee
How do you treat yourself? Do you care for yourself like someone you love?
There's a better way to lose weight…
So many people go about trying to lose weight in the wrong way.
For starters, their goal is to lose weight, which stacks the odds against you before you ever take action.
I didn't even focus on weight loss with my 12-week transformation above.
Do you want to know the process I followed?
I'll show you how to…
- eat fun foods every single day and still get lean
- choose the most effective exercise for your transformation
- not care what other people think of your body - starting from day 1
- find what drives you to stay motivated for life
- avoid the 5 most common mistakes nearly everyone makes on their journey
I'll be coaching all this and more in a free 5-day email course. All you need to do is click the button below to get it…